2013 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
April 2, 2013 - 7:30pm at Mooretown Arena
Hockey Moms Update – Sophia Stewart
House League Update – Shawn Gladwish
Tri County Team Update – Shawn Gladwish
Shamrock League Update – Andrew Vandersteen
Travel Team Update – Jason Taylor
St. Clair Girls Association Update - Darryl Pole
OMHA Update – Andrew Vandersteen
Hockey Registration – Kelly Smalls
Financial Update – Lori Hoekstra
Questions / Answers – All
Voting in the 2013/2014 Executive – Steve Pepper
President Steve Pepper welcomed all attending followed by Executive introductions.
Shawn Gladwish reported that participant numbers were good in both House League (Instructional, Tyke, Novice) and Tri-County (where we had Novice, Atom, PeeWee and Midget teams participate). He recommended the same representation for next season.
Andrew Vandersteen reported that the Shamrock League was well organized with an improved communication system through the use of the OneDB website. Overall, MTMHA brought home 5 Playoff titles: Novice Rep (B pool), PeeWee AE (A pool), PeeWee Rep (A pool), Bantam AE (B pool) and Bantam Rep (A pool).
Midget AE brought home an OMHA title beating out Kincardine. Juveniles lost out in the Semi-Finals.
Collectively, MTMHA travel teams finished over .500 in the win/loss column with two teams, PeeWee Rep and Midget AE, winning their Regional Silver Stick Tournaments. PeeWee Rep, Midget Rep, and Midget AE won their respective divisions in the Mooretown Tournament.
St. Clair Girls
St. Clair had 4 teams: Novice HL (league finalists), Atom C (league finalists), Bantam C (league finalists), and Midget B. None of the St. Clair Girls teams advanced to Provincials. Darryl Pole suggested holding tryouts in the spring to keep pace with Sarnia and Petrolia. They are looking for volunteers.
Sophia Stewart donated $8200 on behalf of the Hockey Moms. She reported that, although she had a great group of volunteers, it was a challenge finding people to help in the kitchen for the Rep/AE Tournament and Juvenile Silver Stick.
Sophia suggested that the Association look at finding a new supplier for Storm wear. There was a motion for the Executive to formulate Requests For Tenders and solicit a new contract. PASSED.
Lori Hoekstra presented the financial statement. Although the books do not officially close until April 30 there will be a positive carry over for next season.
Kelly Smalls reported that there wasn’t a drop in numbers from last year which is outstanding. He suggested eliminating the late fees for registration and to implement a two-payment system where the Volunteer Fee portion is processed closer to the beginning of the season. He also suggested that Gate Pass fees be included in registration.
Those that have not yet received their $200 Volunteer Fee reimbursements are asked to contact Shelley Edlington ([email protected]) no later than April 15th.
Executive and Committees – Available Roles
If anyone is interested in joining the MTMHA Executive or participating on any Committees please email Steve Pepper ([email protected]) for details. There will be a meeting later this month to ratify positions.
As always there are many roles that need to be filled, or shared, to help the organization run smoothly. It is always MTMHA’s intention to put people in positions that interest them and where they are comfortable and capable. No one is ever left to their own devices as the Executive members work as a team to make sure no one is overburdened or overwhelmed.
Q & A
1) Amalgamation: There has been no movement in that direction. MTMHA does not see the benefit to joining forces with Petrolia since we are running in the black. OMHA is not forcing the issue.
2) Re-categorizing from BB to B: The request was proposed but denied since MTMHA does not have a history of losing seasons.
3) Name Change: A motion to form a committee to investigate changing the name from Storm to Junior Flags was PASSED. Any volunteers are welcome – please contact Steve Pepper with your interest.
4) Coaching Selections: Applications are to completed through the website and will not be accepted by mail or fax. May 15 is the closing date.
5) Coaches Feedback: Forms can be filled out on the website up to April 30.
6) Silent Auction: It was suggested to take advantage of the silent auction feature on our website for fundraising purposes.
7) There was a suggestion to hold a Concussion Clinic.
8) It was suggested to make the Hitting Clinic mandatory for all first year PeeWees.
Steve Pepper agreed to stay on as President.
Lori Hoekstra would like to step down as Treasurer.