2014 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Thursday, April 3rd - 7:30pm at Mooretown Arena (above Rink 2)
- Hockey Moms Update – Laurie Pepper
- House League Update – Bob Knight
- Tri-County Teams Update – Shawn Gladwish
- Shamrock League Update – Andrew Vandersteen
- Travel Teams Update – Jason Taylor
- St. Clair Girls Association Update - Darryl Pole
- OMHA Update – Andrew Vandersteen
- Hockey Registration – Kelly Smalls
- Financial Update – Leslie Coene
- Questions & Answers – Open to All
- Voting in the 2014-2015 Executive – Steve Pepper
- Open Executive (Voting) Positions:
Travel Teams Coordinator
- Open Staff (Non-Voting) Positions:
Hockey School Coordinator
Development Clinics Coordinator
President Steve Pepper welcomed all attending followed by Executive introductions.
Laurie Pepper thanked everyone involved in making the 2013/2014 a successful fundraising season. There is a new executive in place for the coming season. Hockey Moms donated $12,000.00 to the Minor Hockey organization this year. Hockey Moms is looking for recipes for a fundraising cookbook. There is a new facebook page for Hockey Moms.
House League Update
Bob Knight reported House League ran well this season. Hockey Day enjoyed by all participants. Bob is looking at a pre-made instructional binder for all coaches. This binder will contain direction that will be used by coaches to increase the development of our players. Bob is also looking a coaches mentoring program, to help build the coaches development and to be a resource to the coach.
Shawn Gladwish reported that we had four teams participate in the Tri County League this season. We had a Novice, Atom and 2 PeeWee teams play in the Tri County League. Novice Tri County Team is moving to an AE team next season. No fines assessed to Tri County this year.
Novice were Playoff Champions, Atom were Playoff Finalists, and PeeWee Yellow were Consolation Champions.
Shamrock League Update
Andrew Vandersteen reported that Shamrock Division ran well this season.
PeeWee Rep finished first overall in the Regular Season, Midget AE were Playoff 'A' Finalists, Bantam Rep were Playoff 'A' Champions, Bantam AE were Playoff 'B' Finalists and Atom Rep were Playoff 'C' Champions.
Andrew Vandersteen reported that we had two teams qualify for the Semi-Finals. The PeeWee Rep team was eliminated by Erin-Hillsburgh and the Juvenile Rep team was eliminated by Glanbrook.
One parent from every hockey participants family must complete the Respect in Sport program prior to the start of 2014/2015 season. This is an on-line course and the cost is $12.00.
Travel Team Update
Steve Pepper reported that a coaching selection committee has already been formed. There have been 12 coaching applications for the 2014 season. 69 coaching evaluations have been received and will be used by the coaches selection committee when doing interviews. Question asked about moving tryouts to spring. The OMHA will not allow us to do tryouts until AAA and AA tryouts are completed. May look at moving tryouts to end of August.
Jason McLean reported that there were four teams this year; 2 Midget teams, an Atom team and a Novice team. This year, there will be four team; Novice, Atom, PeeWee and Midget. Tryouts will be held in the spring. Each team can carry a roster of 19 players. Coaches have already been selected. Kelly Baker has resigned as registrar and Andrea Murphy has taken over this position.
Kelly Small reported that the split payment option was utilized by many families last year and will be an option again this year. There were a few problems with expiration dates on credit cards. Registration roughly the same as last year; 404 registered players. Registration costs not finalized yet. Instructional and Juvenile likely to remain the same. The volunteer fee to change. Fee to be raised to $500.00, payable by a post-dated cheque. Details of the volunteer fee still being worked out.
Lesley Coene reported that there was a carry over of $16,149.53 from the previous season. Net 2013/2014 revenue was $19,772 92, leaving a bank balance of $34,482.45.
Mooretown Storm is now going to be known as the Mooretown Jr. Flags and the St.Clair Girls will be known as the Mooretown Lady Flags. Jersey samples on display.
Q & A
1) The executive was questioned regarding a incident involving a young referee and the Atom Tri County coach. The OMHA issued a 6 game suspension to the coach and some parents felt the executive did not support the referee. It was explained the association did stand behind the referee but accepted the OMHA penalty as sufficient.
2) Incident involving 3 Mooretown players/trainer assaulting a referee at the end of a game. Police/OMHA involved. Suspensions pending for the involved players/trainer.
3) Families would like to see a goalie clinic in Mooretown. Also, a suggestion about giving goalies a reduced registration was suggested. Suggestion will be evaluated by executive.
Election of Executive
Steve Pepper announced his resignation as President, but will stay on the executive. Nominees for President included Andrew Vandersteen and Josh Russell. A ballot vote was held, with Andrew Vandersteen being the successful candidate. Josh Russell and Chris Brown will join the executive.
Jason McLean won the draw for a free registration for the 2014/2015 season.